Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Making Herbal Infusions (and a few other things)




I was really excited to start drinking infusions (really strong tea) made from the dried herbs I bought at MaMa Jean's yesterday. I decided to start with the red clover because it is the one I am most excited about. Red Clover is used for hot flashes, PMS, breast enhancement and breast health, improving cholesterol, improving circulation of the blood, helps prevent osteoporosis, reduce the possibility of blood clots and arterial plaques and limiting the development of benign prostate hyperplasia. Whew! Red clover is also a great source of calcium, chromium, magnesium, niacin, phosphorus, potassium, thiamine, and vitamin C. One thing I read about red clover and was excited by is its ability to reduce incidence of heart disease. What a truly wonderful plant.


To begin making an infusion, fill a quart size glass jar with 1cup of dried red clover.


Measuring out the dry herb.


Next, boil a kettle of water and then pour over the red clover all the way to the top of the jar. Close the lid tightly and let steep overnight (or a minimum of 4 hours).


Adding boiled water to the herb.

In the morning I woke to a nice dark colored infusion.

After steeping overnight the infusion is ready.


Strain the liquid from the plant matter into another glass jar.


Straining the red clover infusion.

Then pour infusion over ice and enjoy the many health benefits! You can drink it room temperature too if you don't like it cold.

Red Clover infusion over ice.


I have plenty left to drink tomorrow too. I wouldn't suggest keeping it longer than two days.


Remaining infusion for tomorrow.

Basically what we have here is a tea that steeps for a long time. By steeping the herbs overnight the water is infused with more of the vitamins and minerals we need. By making it in greater quantities we are able to drink it in therapeutic (larger) quantities. I have been sipping this infusion all day and quite like the taste. I have been drinking strong medicinal herbal teas for many years though, so if you are new to herbs it may take a few tries to acquire a taste. I find the red clover to be earthy and bitter with the tiniest hint of sweet. You may prefer to sweeten it or add a little bit of mint for flavor. I like it fine on its own and plan to drink infusions regularly.


Last night at the Springfield Area Herb Society meeting I was given a Holy Basil plant (aka Tulsi). I want to try growing this one indoors in a pot so I have access to the fresh leaves all year long. Holy Basil is a member of the mint family and has been grown in India for over 3,000 years, where it symbolizes the Goddess Lakshmi. A powerful antioxidant and antibacterial, Holy Basil has been used to treat everything from a common cold to bronchitis to fever to certain digestive issues including ulcers.


New Holy Basil baby.


One of the three hostas in the little shade garden we made, has flowered. They are the lightest lilac color and very pretty.


Flowering Hosta.

I also wanted to share a picture of my tomato harvest from this afternoon. The cherokee purples are making beautiful colors and the cherry tomatoes are making more than the three households who are sharing these plants can eat!

An abundance of tomatoes this summer.


Today is day 8 of The Yoga Girl Challenge and the theme was Manifesting Dreams. I am working on writing a book ( a long time dream of mine) and below is a photo of the accordion folder I keep notes and ideas in. I know I promised in an earlier post to talk more about my book, but until it takes on a more solid form I am keeping it under wraps. 


Day 8 The Yoga Girl Challenge: Manifesting Dreams


PS The delicate flowers (petunias and dianthus) that we planted last week are HATING the extreme heat we have been having over the last few days. I hope they can make it. 


~ Love & Light ~
















No comments:

Post a Comment