Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Let's Get A Physical




I got a physical/check-up today. The first one of my adult life! That's just stupid and irresponsible. But I got one and everything checked out fine. I mention it (and title my post after it) because it connects to The Yoga Girl Challenge. Yesterday was day 6 and the theme was Start A New Routine. My choice was admittedly lame, but also a no brainer. Flossing. Every damn day.


Day 6 The Yoga Girl Challenge: Start A New Routine


That brings us to today, and my roundabout connection to the doctors exam. The theme for day 7 is Thank You. I made a point to be incredibly grateful and express my thanks to everyone who helped me today, from the receptionist to the doctor, and the lab tech. who drew my blood. It was also a great reminder that we are lucky to have access to modern healthcare in the U.S. For that I am thankful.



Day 7 The Yoga Girl Challenge: Thank You!

Now, I am a complete wuss and hate going to the doctor. I do see my OB/GYN every year but I have known her for 13 years now...and I still drive all the way to KC for my check-ups because I don't want someone new. I told you. Wuss. 


Anyway, as you can imagine, going to a new doctor and getting blood drawn FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE was nerve rattling. I was fine though--unlike the grown man drinking juice who passed  out next to me. And although the experience was painless, I still decided I deserved a little reward. :)


I headed to MaMa Jean's Market to procure one of the woven African (fair trade) baskets that I had been eyeing for months. Of course, while I was there I grabbed a few other things too.


New basket full of goodies


See how nice it looks sitting on top of the fridge?


I love it so much I think I might name it.


How about from this angle? I'm kidding. I'll stop.


Now if only I can remember to take it along when I go shopping...

I bought red clover, nettle leaf and oat straw to make herbal infusions with. I'll post photos when I get to making them.

Nourishing herbs for infusions.


I also got some new quart sized jars to make the infusions in and a couple of amber spray bottles to put tinctures I've made in for our road trip next week.


Jars and spray bottles for remedies.

I grabbed a bottle of Bragg Kelp Sprinkle for soups and salads (maybe other things?). I love this stuff. If you want to add a salty flavor to dishes the kelp will do just that. They also make an herb and spice mix sans kelp. Both are awesome. Speaking of seaweed (kelp), I have come to be disappointed in my Seaweed Bath Co. shampoo. It is drying my hair out a lot and leaving a gross residue. I'm going to try something else once I finish the bottle. I still love you seaweed, don't hate.



Bragg Kelp Seasoning.


Oh! And the main reason I went to MaMa Jean's was to get carob powder.



Bulk carob powder is cheap!

To make this...


Taos Whole Foods Cookbook


And just when I think the day can't get any better, I get home to find my neighbor at my door bringing me an arugula start which I immediately planted in the herb bed. Sweet!


New arugula start.


So that was my morning and afternoon. Pretty good if I do say so myself. Oh yeah, yesterday I gathered together my gemstones. Just the actual stones. No crystals or beads or any of that jazz. I cleaned them and put them on a plate to admire them.


My gemstones


Then I thought to myself, "I should get more variety, maybe some purple and red", and an hour later I saw this...




I'm totally going.



Well, I have an Herb Society meeting to attend shortly. I better get going. Let me leave you with this inspiring idea I saw on Facebook the other day. Little cucumber boats filled with goat cheese and sprinkled with monarda. I. Must. Do. This.


Cucumber, goat cheese and monarda boats. 


~ Love & Light ~






















No comments:

Post a Comment