Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Larson Is The Best Medicine






Back in my elementary school days, a favorite pastime of my neighborhood friends and I, was reading my parents The Far Side comic books. Looking back, we probably didn't understand a lot of the jokes, but we didn't let on. When I was young I always wanted to be in on what the adults where doing or talking about or watching. I'm sure part of the appeal of Gary Larson's comics was the fact that they are cartoons that adults enjoy. Finally! Something I could share with the grown-ups! 


I pulled The Far Side books from my parents book shelf on and off over the years until I finally moved out of the house. The older I got, the funnier they became. I wonder if those comics had a hand in forming my sense of humor or if I had just found a style that tickled my funny bone? Either way, to this day The Far Side is just the type of humor to get me laughing uncontrollably. 


Gary Larson


The Far Side is a single panel comic Gary created. It ran from 1980-1995. Gary produced 23 The Far Side books, which were all on the New York Times bestseller list. His books have a combined sales of over 45 million copies! From Wiki: Its surrealistic humor is often based on uncomfortable social situations, improbable events, an anthropomorphic view of the world, logical fallacies, impending bizarre disasters, (often twisted) references to proverbs, or the search for meaning in life. Larson's frequent use of animals and nature in the comic is popularly attributed to his background in biology. 


Here is a taste of his work...
Click To Enlarge












And the one that had me in tears last night...




You know what they say is true...Laughter IS the best medicine and today I say Larson is the best medicine! 


~Love & Light ~

















No comments:

Post a Comment