Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Let The Sunshine In






Yesterday was beautiful! The temperature reached the upper sixties and was accompanied by a nice cool breeze. My hound dog Penny spent the morning lying in the sunshine on the back deck. Inspired by the blissful look on her face, I allowed myself to do something I hadn't done in years...sunbathe. I grabbed an oversized towel, stripped down to my skivvies, and let myself bask in the warm light for half an hour. I had forgotten how amazing the sun feels on places normally covered by clothes. It was energizing and calming. 


Years and years ago at a routine physical exam, my doctor had warned me to stay out of the sun. I happened to have a pretty nasty sunburn during that check-up. The doctor warned me that with my fair skin, I was a prime candidate for skin cancer. I was in my early twenties at the time and took the warning with all seriousness. After that, I avoided the sun completely. 




Watching Penny bask in the warm early Spring sunshine yesterday made me stop and reconsider my ideas about sun exposure. Isn't it funny that animals will always find a patch of sunshine to rest in? It comes to them instinctually, and for good reason. Catching some rays has many health benefits! Being in the sun causes your brain to produce serotonin and endorphins which increase your mood and can be very helpful in fighting depression. Sun exposure also resets your internal clock, leading to quality sleep. Restful sleep and a better mood? That's reason enough for me, but there are other great benefits as well. Sunbathing can clear skin irritations such as acne, rashes, eczema, and athlete's foot, as well as giving you a healthy glow. Another benefit? Hormone regulation. That's right ladies, being in the sun can decrease PMS and menopausal symptoms along with stimulating the pineal gland of the brain, regulating its secretions which allows for more creativity, insight, and mindfulness. Sunbathing can help your liver function and assist in breaking down wastes and toxins in your body which may cause disease or cancer. It also helps increase both white and red blood cell count and helps the blood circulate more efficiently. Oh! And let's not forget that we are getting a healthy dose of vitamin D while we are at it! Exposure to sun is actually the BEST way to attain this essential nutrient. Vitamin D is so important, (and most people don't get enough) it helps regulate the immune system, increase calcium absorption, which leads to strong bones, and avoid kidney stones, diabetes, and obesity. Can you believe it? All of these lovely benefits from doing something that feels so good and requires nothing more than for you to relax. 




Of course, I'm not suggesting we worship the sun. Too much of anything is bad for us, and this holds especially true for sunbathing! Moderation is the key. I decided fifteen minutes on each side was plenty for my pale skin, and even then I could feel the lasting kiss of the sun's rays. I would suggest setting the timer on your phone just in case you doze off. If you haven't relaxed in the sun recently, you might have forgotten how soothing and hypnotic it can be. If you have an alarm set you can squeeze in an awesome nap while you're at it. I set Pandora to the spa station, put on my sunglasses to protect my eyes and had some ice water with cucumber slices by my side. Total self love. 


It is officially Spring in seven days and with warm sunny days that haven't reached the sweltering heat of Summer, it is the perfect time of year to get your sun glow! I plan to bathe in the light of the sun regularly from now on. 


~ Love & Light ~






No comments:

Post a Comment