Friday, October 25, 2013

Spooky Movie Month







Here at Chigger Chalet, October is spooky movie month. We watch at least one horror movie or scary themed TV series show a night. With a week left before Halloween, I have decided to share my favorites with you.

*Note that this isn't my all time favorite horror film list, just the best we've seen in October 2013.


SPOOKY MOVIE (AND A FEW TV SHOWS) TOP TEN:

10. The Host (2006 Korean film) The Koreans know horror and they hit one out of the park with The Host. It would probably be more accurate to describe this one as thriller instead of horror but it fits nicely into the spooky movie month theme.


9. The Cabin In The Woods (2012) I added this to the list as Mark's pick. I typically love a good teen scream but I wasn't wild about this one. Mark, on the other hand, liked it so much that I just couldn't leave it off the list.




8. The Walking Dead (TV series 2010- ) Zombies! Zombies! And more zombies! Another one I'm not crazy about ( I enjoyed the first season but at this point I'm getting bored) but have been faithfully watching each week. This one is so popular with everyone I know that it had to be included.


7. Tucker and Dale vs Evil (2010) The perfect comedy horror! This film was one we watched with no expectations and ended up really enjoying. It is the perfect mix of teen scream and cheesy comedy. 





6. Practical Magic (1998) This is a classic I watch every October. Love it.


5. Carrie (1976) Mark and I hadn't seen this one in so many years that it was almost like we were watching it for the first time. Before you run out and see the 2013 re-make give the classic a viewing.





4. House On Haunted Hill (1959) If you enjoy spooky old black and white films, this one fits the bill. It won't leave you with goose pimples but it will strike up an appreciation for the days before CGI. 


3. The Craft (1996) Another witchy classic I try to watch every October. Mark summed it up perfectly when he asked, "Is this the 90's answer to a scary Clueless?" Yes, yes it is. 




2. Being Human (TV series 2011- ) Oh the antics that ensue when a vampire, werewolf, and ghost are roomies! This series aired first in the UK (with a different cast and slightly different story) and was so popular that the US version followed shortly. Not exactly horror, but suspenseful and engaging. I realize it sounds ridiculous but it is actually really good. 



1. American Horror Story (TV series 2011- ) Season three, Coven, is currently airing on Wednesday nights. I gave this series the #1 spot on the list because it is spooky, perverse, original, and has a stellar cast! 





I take spooky movie month VERY seriously. Some would say it's an obsession. This is but a fraction of the films we have watched this month, but for their own unique reasons I wanted to give them a spot on the list. 

Well, I'd like to stick around and discuss these films all day, but October isn't over yet and I've still got movies to watch! Until next time.


P.S. Don't forget to enter the October Book Giveaway! I'll be announcing the winner on October 31st.


~ Love & Light ~

No comments:

Post a Comment