Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Light: Exploration #3

I'm plugging away at my assignments from the book How To Be An Explorer Of The World: Portable Art Life Museum by Keri Smith. Today I bring you the third task, which is all about light.

Exploration #3:

LIGHT

Collect objects based on how they reflect light. List the different qualities, such as refelctive, translucent, refracting, mottled, etc. (try to collect thirty objects.)


Leanne's Thirty Objects


I selected thirty items from inside Chigger Chalet and a few from the deck. I made sure to include items from every room in the house.


1. Sunglasses (Walgreens)= tinted,tinged
2. Hourglass (gift from sister Sara)= translucent
3. Mason Jar (Price Cutter)= glassy, luminous
4. Red Bottle (Maj-R Thrift)= red shadow, subdued
5. Glass Skull (Walgreens)= crystalline, 
6. Om Candle (gift from Carrie and Phil)= dull, rayless
7. Purple Vase (Grandma Jernigan's house)= purple shadow, absorptive
8. Silver Bowl (gift from Chris)= isolated glow
9. Wood Buddha (antique store in Northern California)= Silhouette 
10. Soapstone Owl (It's A Beautiful Day)= soft, muted
11. Abalone Shell (KC Metaphysical Fair)= refracting, bright, iridescent, changing colors
12. Pinecone (nature)= points of light, crevice shadows
13. Jar Of Buttons (here and there)= refracting, zigzag
14. Lime= (gift from Yenzel accompanied by a bottle of rum) mottled
15. Miniature Cast Iron Pail (mom)= muted, absorptive
16. Pig Ear (pet store)= shiny
17. Beach Rock (beach in San Simeon, CA.) = textured, soft
18. Turkey Feather (gift from Chris)= bending, shifting
19. Glass Pendant (gift from mom)= orange and green shadow, tinted
20. Jasper Wand (Aquarius Bookstore)= dark, solid, thick, rock like
21. Amethyst And Quartz stone (given to me by Fran)= purple shadow, murky 
22. Large Quartz Crystal (Hawaii)= reflective, refracting, variegation, prism
23. Mini Eiffel Tower (gift from mom's trip to Paris)= cutouts of light, dark, silhouette
24. Silver Ganesha (It's A Beautiful Day)= bright points, changes color
25. Dry Leaf (back deck)= shiny, see through, orange, textured
26. Champagne Cork (a recent toast)= textured, dimension
27. Gray River Stone (New Mexico) = dark, thick, dull
28. Rose Colored Stone (unknown)= translucent, cloudy, frosty
29. Dram Of Oil (homemade)= Traps light, tinted shadow
30. Strength Tarot Card (tarot deck given to me by Amber)= matte, dull


Point of view from the other side


This was an interesting task. If anything, it got me to bring out some things that have been sitting around collecting dust and to use a thesaurus. I included where each item came from and who gave it to me because that is what I found myself thinking about as I gathered them together. It's plain to see I am a wee bit sentimental. 


While we are talking about light, I will mention that the bridge over the river on McCracken street has already been decorated for the holidays. I snapped a shot this morning. 


Bridge over the Finley


I have been enjoying the most beautiful light show during the days while I sit outside and write. The way the light sparkles off the small waves in the river never gets old. 



Light dancing on the river

Well, task number three is completed. Now it's your turn! 


No ideas but in things. ~ William Carlos Williams


P.S. Don't forget to enter the No Place Like Home October Book Giveaway! Winner to be announced on October 31st, 2013.


~ Love & Light ~






No comments:

Post a Comment