Monday, October 28, 2013

Archaeological Dig: Exploration #6

It's time for the sixth exploration from the book, How To Be An Explorer Of The World: Portable Art Life Museum by Keri Smith. I had a lot of fun with this one!


Exploration #6:


ARCHAEOLOGICAL DIG

Re-create objects from your childhood using found objects or readily available materials (such as cardboard, glue, string, tape, leaves, wood, or rocks). You may choose to re-create your childhood room on a miniature scale using found materials. 


My first idea was to make a replica of my childhood dog, Cassidy, from dryer lint. It only took a few minutes of trying to shape the lint before I realized it wasn't going to hold a shape (not to mention Cassidy was a living creature, not an object). Scrap that idea. The next thing that came to mind when thinking of my childhood was our first Nintendo game system. The day my parents brought that thing home from the store was one of the happiest days of my little girl life. 





I set about making a little Nintendo game system. 


My Nintendo box


It was hard to get decent pictures because the crayon wax is so reflective.






Playing Mario Brothers with my sister, Sara, is such a fond memory of mine. She was Mario and I was Luigi. We got so good that we could beat all the levels and play them through again. Of course, we eventually moved on to more advanced games and newer gaming systems, but Mario Bros. will always be my first memory of having a hand in manipulating the images in the TV. Truly a magical experience.




Well, that wraps up exploration #6. I'll be back soon! 

~ *~


Playing with the scale and material of objects can transform their meaning in interesting ways and bring things into the realm of imagination. When we see something that is different than we expect we are forced to develop a new relationship with it, one that asks us to question "that which we think we know" or "that which we see" while also adding a playful element. Try playing with different materials to see how the meaning is affected. - Kerri Smith


~ Love & Light ~












No comments:

Post a Comment