Saturday, June 22, 2013

Aaction Kenpo Karate: Springfield's Oldest Karate Studio

I have a treat for you guys! Another guest blog post by my super awesome ninja boyfriend, Mark. Enjoy!



For me, returning to the Springfield area meant the option to resume participation in a longtime hobby and sport - one which consumed most of my free time during my teen years.  As a matter of fact, if you knew me then, you’d likely have known me as one of the Kenpo kids.  On most weeknights, if you were to walk into Aaction Kenpo Karate Studios on East Sunshine, you would have seen my brother and me there, teaching classes or executing deadly moves alongside grizzled types in black belt technique lines.

Phil & Mark Retana at their first tournament in 1992

Since 1982, Aaction Kenpo Karate Studios has been the premier place to learn from top-notch instructors in Springfield.  My brother, Phil, and I began our training there in 1991 and have been training in American Kenpo Karate for over 20 years.  He is now the proprietor of the headquarters school which is located on 3213-B South Campbell Avenue, next to Wal-Mart Supercenter.

Instructor Nick Forshee leading the class through stretches.

Aaction Kenpo Karate Studios traces its lineage directly to Ed Parker, the Father of American Karate.  Our instructor, Grandmaster Jim Mitchell was a protégé of Mr. Parker’s and trained at his home for many years, being one of the few to learn the system in its entirety.  My brother and I are fortunate enough to have been taught the entire system directly from Mr. Mitchell, making his studio the authentic place to learn the complete Mitchell System of Kenpo Karate in Springfield.

Ed Parker and Jim Mitchell, late 1970s.

What is this Kenpo thing, anyway, and how does it differ from other Martial Arts?  Kenpo teaches concepts that anyone can learn, with techniques built around what practitioners call, “natural motion.”  In other words, defensive movements are derived from everyday gestures, like combing your hair or reaching for your wallet.  There is virtually no emphasis on acrobatic, aerial maneuvers, which are considered to be mostly impractical for real-life situations, and techniques taught can be put to immediate use if attacked in a multitude of ways, from choke holds and arm locks to combination punches, kicks, and knife, club, or gun attacks, or my personal favorite – multiple simultaneous attackers (after all, people who start fights often have buddies with them, right?).


As rough as that all sounds, at its core, Kenpo is actually a peaceful Art.  It teaches the techniques necessary to defend yourself and your friends and family, but only as measure of last resort.  Mr. Parker articulates this in the Kenpo Creed, which he authored in 1957:

"I come to you with only Karate, empty hands.  I have no weapons, but should I be forced to defend myself, my principles or my honor; should it be a matter of life or death, of right or wrong; then here are my weapons: Karate, my empty hands." -- Ed Parker

To learn more about Aaction Kenpo Karate Studios, check them out at http://mitchellkenpo.com/, and if you like them, be sure to like their Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/aactionkenpokarate.

Phil Retana
3213-B South Campbell Ave.
Springfield, MO 65807
(417) 889-2244

For those of you who live near Camdenton or Willow Springs, don't hesitate to give these gentlemen a call!

Michael Jones
762 N. Business Route 5
Camdenton, MO 65020
(573) 346-5425

Jerry Wickens
T of O Kenpo Karate
1004 N. Walnut St.
Willow Springs, MO 65793
(417) 259-3035

No comments:

Post a Comment