Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Kitchen Witch Alchemy




I strained the tinctures I made in herb class a few days ago (I strained them a few days ago, I made them a little over six weeks ago). I chose the day of the full moon to do it so that they would be super charged. I also snapped photos to share the process with you.


I started with the lemon balm. This tincture is a glycerin extraction or a glycerite. Lemon balm has a calming effect and is great for anxiety and restlessness.


Lemon balm in vegetable glycerin.


Then I strained the liquid from the plant matter.


Lemon Balm glycerite.

I use plain address labels to label the glass dropper bottles.

Don't forget to label and date your tincture!


Next, I strained the culinary blend. A mix of tasty herbs from the garden. I will add a few drops to olive oil and make dressing for salads. Vinegar was used for this extraction.


Culinary blend tincture.

Finally, I strained the hops! This alcohol extract was my favorite from the three we made. I love the bitter flavor of hops.

Tasty hops!


I usually use cheesecloth to strain the liquid but I didn't have any in the cupboard. I used a muslin tea bag instead and it worked beautifully. 


Reusable muslin teabags work for a variety of things in the kitchen. 


Wow! Look at the bright golden color of the hops extract. Hops is great for improving appetite, indigestion, and helps induce sleep among other things.


Hops Tincture.

The last step was to bottle, label, and date the tinctures.

Leanne's latest homemade remedies.


And then store them in the fridge.


Homemade tinctures.

Add the remaining plant matter to your compost pile if you have one. I tossed mine onto the cliff behind Chigger Chalet to let it melt back into the Earth.

Strained plant matter.


Aaaaand-- a picture of my cutting board offerings today, because they look so colorful and tasty. 


Garden goodies.

Oh, and I'm also participating in the Yoga Girl Challenge put on by Rachel Brathen. Today's theme was #yogaeverydamnday. This was my photo. Bombed by Ms. Penny, of course. 


Day 1 of 21 day yoga challenge.


~ Love & Light ~

















2 comments:

  1. Great post, Leanne. Beautiful photos, too! Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for reading and taking the time to comment. I look forward to blogging about our future classes.

    ReplyDelete