Monday, November 25, 2013

RetroPolitan: A Brilliant Hair Salon

Looking in the mirror the other day, I noticed my newly brunette locks were looking pretty scraggly. I wanted to get a trim before the coming holidays but the salon I had been going to in Springfield was starting to disappoint. I remembered that I had seen a cute salon on the square in Oz when I was there the other day collecting photos for a recent exploration project. I pulled up the photos and found the one I'd taken of the salon window. There it was... RetroPolitan. I decided to take a chance and picked up the phone to make an appointment. The idea of finding a salon I like that is less than a mile from my house made it worth the risk of a not so great cut.

The owner, Tamywa Thurman, answered the phone. I made my appointment with her for the coming Saturday. Perfect. I would get my hair cut and styled before Mark and I went to see my sister in her high school production of Hairspray that evening.


When I arrived at the salon on Saturday, I was greeted by Tam as soon as I entered. No wait. She took me straight to the sink after I hung up my coat and bag.


Arriving at the salon


Tam Thurman Owner/Stylist at RetroPolitan Salon


Tam is super friendly and easy to talk to. After she washed my hair we headed to her station so she could begin cutting. From the mirror in front of me I had a good view of the rest of the salon. The exposed wooden beam ceiling is painted a light blue and the overall style is what I would call "retro-eclectic". Christmas music was playing softly and the other ladies who work there were bopping about cutting and coloring other patrons hair. 


RetroPolitan Salon

Tam told me that come December the salon will have been in business for three years. She said that this past year has been really great and they have established a good base of regular customers. The conversation was nice and Tam is obviously an experienced stylist who seemed at ease and very comfortable cutting and then styling my hair. After trimming off the dead ends and cleaning up my layers, she styled my hair with natural looking waves. I liked the end result and felt the cut was totally worth the thirty dollar charge. I wish I had thought to take a picture of my hair that day to include in this post. You can look at photos on the RetroPolitan website and their Facebook page to see the stylists who work there and view examples of their work.


If you live in or near Ozark, do visit RetroPolitan Salon the next time you are in need of a cut, color, wax, manicure, or even a spray tan. RetroPolitan also offers wedding and prom packages. Treat yourself to an awesome salon experience right here in Oz. I promise you'll be glad you did!


RetroPolitan Salon in downtown Ozark



203 W Church st.
Ozark, MO 65721
417-485-4807

Hours

Tuesday-Friday: 9:30am-5pm
Saturday: 9:30am-3pm
**evenings by appointment only**


~ Love & Light ~












No comments:

Post a Comment