Thursday, November 14, 2013

Fifty Things: Exploration #12


I got a jump on the day and headed to the grocery store at 8:00am to do my next exploration from the book, How To Be An Explorer Of The World: Portable Art Life Museum by Keri Smith.


Exploration #12


FIFTY THINGS


Write down (or document) fifty things about one of the following: A trip to the library, a trip to the grocery store, a walk in your neighborhood.


I had done plenty of tasks that involved taking a walk and I needed to pick up a few things at the market anyway, so I chose the grocery store as my project destination. 


Arriving at the grocery store.




In the following video I am trying to get audio of the tornado sirens I heard when I pulled into the parking lot. I realize you can hardly hear it. 



The first thing that hit me when I got out of the car was the smell of BBQ. Apparently Oscar's ribs are famous. At least he says so.


Smoking in the parking lot.

When I got inside and propped my book up in a cart I began writing down my observations.


Page 1 Observations


First stop, the salad bar.

Source of my lunch most weekdays.



I remembered I was out of turmeric. I sprinkle it on my salad. Better get a jar. Red Monkey is organic.



Picking up turmeric for my salad.

More observing...



Page 2 Observations

These dudes make me sad every time.



Lifeless lobsters

Plastic toys. A must for any self respecting grocery store.



Plastic dinosaurs

He was so busy he didn't even notice the paparazzi. 



Frito Lay guy hard at work.

Clear whiskey? 



KANSAS whiskey

Produce man keeping it fresh.



Produce guy cleaning out old stuff.

More observing...



Page 3 Observations

I don't remember a turkey on Sesame Street.



How to get to Sesame Street

After one hour I finally pay for my goods.



Salad, macadamia nuts, turmeric, and cotton swabs

This project was pretty good. I can't remember the last time I spent an hour at the grocery store. Kinda depressing really. I went down aisles and looked at things I don't usually buy. Overpriced processed crap comprised the bulk of it. It's totally true that you should stick to the outer walls and skip most of the aisles all together when shopping. Produce, bulk bins, dairy and the meat department are almost never down an aisle. Anyway, thanks for reading. Until tomorrow! 


Before familiarity can turn into awareness the familiar must be stripped of its inconspicuosness; We must give up assuming that the object in question needs no explanation. However frequently recurrent, modest, vulgar it may be it will now be labeled as something unusual. -Bertold Brecht 







~ Love & Light ~




















No comments:

Post a Comment