Friday, November 8, 2013

One Thing: Exploration #10

It's time for another exploration from the book, How To Be An Explorer Of The World: Portable Art Life Museum by Keri Smith. This assignment was fun and easy to do.


Exploration #10


ONE THING


Choose an everyday object. This can be something you find on the street or something you have. Look at the top half of the object for fifteen minutes. Record everything you see there in detail. Then do the same for the bottom half. The longer you look the more you will see.


I have had my fill of using objects found on the street so I opted to use something I already have. I chose a ceramic elephant teapot given to me by my sister, Sara.


Top of elephant teapot


Bottom of elephant teapot


I set the timer on my iphone and started logging my observations. 


Leanne's observations


I was surprised by how quickly the fifteen minutes passed for each side. It has been fun pulling out objects that are usually stashed away or on display and never touched. It has also been a reminder that I have a lot of people in my life who love me and have given me really cool gifts over the years.


Rainbow bursts reflecting the sunlight


This task made me think about how we usually overlook the details of our surroundings. The idea we have of what something looks like in our mind is often quite different from what it actually looks like. I think I'll slow down today and really take in the details. Not just in the way things look either, but the smells, sounds, feelings, and tastes of life. Seize the day!


If something is boring after two minutes, try it for four. If still boring, then eight. Then sixteen. Then thirty-two. Eventually one discovers that it is not boring at all. -John Cage


~ Love & Light ~




No comments:

Post a Comment