Monday, December 23, 2013

People Watching: Exploration #22






Exploration #22 from the book, How To Be An Explorer Of The World: Portable Art Life Museum by Keri Smith couldn't have come on a better day. I am feeling a little tired from the usual run around combined with all of the additional activity of the holidays. This task had me slow down and spend an hour quietly observing. It didn't hurt that I got to enjoy a latte' while I worked. :)


Exploration #22


PEOPLE WATCHING


Sit in a public location and document people you see for one hour. Take detailed notes. Make sketches of one item that stands out most about each person. 


I chose to go to 2nd Street Coffee in downtown Oz to do my people watching. Unfortunately they didn't open until 10:00 am which I thought strange for a coffee house. I went around the corner and found that Ben's On The Square was open. Good enough for me.  After ordering and obtaining my iced vanilla latte' I cozied up in a chunky wooden chair and opened my sketchbook. 


My view inside the coffee shop.


I set the timer on my iphone for one hour and began documenting my observations. Click on the images below to enlarge.


Project People Watching pg. 1

Project People Watching pg. 2

Project People Watching pg. 3

Project People Watching pg. 4

Project People Watching pg. 5


I am one of those people who is usually 'in my head'. Often I won't remember what my server at a restaurant or the cashier that helps me at a store look like. Let's just say that my observation skills are usually lacking. I've often heard people say that they enjoy people watching and I never really got it. Even after this project I doubt I will dedicate time solely to watching people but I did realize that I could probably stand to pay better attention to  my surroundings. With the exception of a few odd glances (I think a few folks caught me staring at them while I was writing) the task went smoothly. I felt a bit like Sherlock taking in the details around me, putting together the puzzle pieces to solve a mystery. All in all it was a fun exploration. 




I probably won't have much time to blog in the next two days, so have a great Christmas! I'll be back soon. 





~ Love & Light ~










No comments:

Post a Comment