Saturday, December 14, 2013

Living Off The Grid




Eco House


Inspired by my friend Joel and his recent Facebook posts, my mind has been thinking about off grid living and eco homes. I went through a slight obsession in my twenties with Monolithic Bubble Domes, and really, really wanted to live in one. 


Monolithic Dome


I still like the monolithic style but my tastes have changed over the years and I think I would rather be in an Earthship or an old adobe. 


Example of an Earthship


Eco Adobe


Living in an Earthship or an adobe house will probably have to wait until we move to New Mexico but the entire point of these homes is to be off the grid - to say goodbye to PG&E! You don't need a groovy eco home to start weaning yourself from the grid. There are many ways to make a home more energy efficient, like proper insulation, updating windows and buying Energy Star appliances to name a few. You can also reduce your dependence on utilities. Use candles during the evening, collect rain water for use in the garden, heat your home with wood, etc. So much information is available online and in books to help get you started and provide you with hundreds of ideas. Going 100% of grid (no sewer!) might be difficult unless you are custom building a home with your goals in mind but incorporating some energy saving improvements into your current dwelling will benefit the environment and your pocket book. 


Powering the home with Solar Panels


Great resources for eco living:

- 1001 Ways To Save The Earth by Joanna Yarrow







So now you know what I've been thinking/researching/reading about today. I'm not through either, so I'll see you later! I'm off to look at eco home blueprints. 


~ Love & Light ~



















No comments:

Post a Comment