Friday, December 6, 2013

Instant Sculpture: Exploration #17




I'll admit right up front that I didn't spend much time on exploration #17 from the book, How To Be An Explorer Of The World: Portable Art Life Museum by Keri Smith. It's a snow day after all!


Exploration #17


INSTANT SCULPTURE


Consider that everything around you is a source for sculpture. Try making quick pieces using whatever you have around you in the moment.


We have a ton of plastic forks from eating take-out (don't judge- we are making up for all the years we were deprived of REAL cashew chicken). Every time I shut the kitchen drawer they are in and it catches because it is beginning to overflow, I think to myself annoyed, "What in the Sam hell are we ever going to do with all of these plastic forks"!? Behold...fork art.


What the fork is it supposed to be?

I found inspiration in art that has always confounded and confused me. For instance, this big sculpture at the Springfield Art Museum. Its real name is the Sun Target but I'm pretty sure people around here call it the Giant French Fries.


The Sun Target. Springfield Art Museum


Take a closer look. See the many layers. Very symbolic. ;)


Forks Over A Knife

When Mark and I went to The Louvre in Paris last year I snapped a (not so great) photo of Wim Delvoye's  "Suppo" (it's the pointy sculpture under the pyramid). It was the first thing that came to mind after I read the assignment. 


Suppo at The Louvre


Here is a close up shot by a pro.


Wim Delvoye's "Suppo" photographed by Guillaume Ziccarelli


Going to the Musée du Louvre was one of the most magical experiences of my life to date. You don't have to be an "artist" to appreciate the magnitude of the great works on display. I hope to go back to Paris and spend several DAYS in the museum. There is just so much to see! 

Is everyone in Oz enjoying the snow day? Be cautious on the roads and don't forget to pause and take in the stillness and beauty of the snow covered landscape. 


~ Love & Light ~
 












No comments:

Post a Comment