Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Chicken Little




Our neighbors have been kind enough to share their tomato harvest with us this summer. We have been enjoying a bounty of cherry, plum, and heirloom Cherokee Purple. I have enjoyed walking over and plucking them fresh off the vine for my afternoon salads...Penny has been eating a few every afternoon too. In fact, I am loving them so much that I plan to grow my own tomato plants next sumer.


One of the three plants that have been feeding us this summer.


The plants are on the property line between our homes. The carport here at Chigger Chalet is near them. The other day I was headed out to run some errands and heard a rustling sound in the bushes in front of the carport. I guessed it was one of the cats that like to play in there, or a rabbit or even a gopher. I went to open the door of my car and then heard it again. I decided to investigate. I couldn't see anything from inside the carport, so I walked to my neighbors yard, past the tomato plants to the area where the sound was coming from.



The tomato plants dividing our yards.


I looked in the bushes from the other side and to my surprise I saw a hen! The folks several houses down have hens and they graze in our yard from time to time, so it wasn't odd to see her this far down the street, but it looked like she was making a nest in the bushes. Maybe she was going to lay some eggs? She was spinning in circles in a pile of leaves forming a nest. As soon as she saw me though, she took off across the neighbor's driveway heading toward her home. 


Pretty red hen.

Below is a video of her making a run for it!



If she returns to her nest in the carport, I may be harvesting tomatoes AND eggs! 


~ Love & Light ~




No comments:

Post a Comment