Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Take It Outside!










One of the best things about the warmer seasons is being able to take your yoga practice outside. The fresh air, the sunshine and the open space really enhance the experience. It also breathes new life into your daily routine and gives you extra motivation to stick with your practice. 




I have an older mat that my mom gave to me years ago and it is perfect for outdoor use. It is a little dingy and tiny pieces of it shed off from the years of use, but that is one of the reasons I love it so much.  


Photo of this mornings yoga session spot.


If you are lucky enough to be out during a breezy morning take note of the wind on your skin. Let it bring a new awareness to different areas of your body. Really feel the sunshine nourishing your skin and spirit or the slight change in temperature when the sun ducks behind the clouds.




Take in the colors of nature...the bold green foliage of summer, the intense blue sky, maybe the oranges and pinks if you live in the South West, or the ocean if you're so lucky. Notice the people, plants and animals that make your area unique. Enjoy the time and be present to your relationship and perfect harmony with the environment. 




I like to sit my laptop on a chair and have a yoga class video going. I try a new video each session to keep things fresh. The sight I like to use is called DoYogaWithMe. The videos are free and they have a lot to chose from. 


My virtual instructor.

Being outside to do yoga really adds so much to the session. I love catching a whiff of the flowers on the deck or the scent of the river water. If the neighbor is mowing the lawn, I don't let the sound of the mower bother me, but instead enjoy the smell of fresh cut grass. Speaking of sounds...the birds singing, the wind rustling in the trees, children laughing at the park...these are all things that bring a smile to my face even if I'm in a challenging pose. Today while in savasana, at the end of practice, a bullfrog began to croak. This felt like such a blessing, like he was singing just for me. 





If you have the opportunity to take your practice outside I really encourage you to so. If you don't practice yoga maybe take your cardio. and fitness routine outside. I bet pumping iron in the fresh air must have some added benefit to muscle building! Give it a try... I promise if you do you won't want to go back inside.


~ Love & Light ~











No comments:

Post a Comment