Wednesday, October 15, 2014

My Dreams For Downtown




When my friend Amber was here recently for a visit, she commented on how much downtown Ozark reminded her of the fictional town of Stars Hollow from the TV series The Gilmore Girls. I had never watched the show before, but after she had gone home to KC, my curiosity took over and I watched the pilot episode. I'm now on episode nine. I like it. It's a feel good show and Amber was totally right -- Stars Hollow is a lot like downtown Oz, complete with gazebo in the center of the square. But Stars Hollow seems to have way more variety when it comes to retail stores. That got me thinking about what exactly I would like to see added to our already awesome group of small businesses on the square. Take note, citizens of Oz, and folks looking to open a business downtown! I just know these ideas would be a hit!


You know those news stands you see in really big cities? Well, I think Oz could totally support one! Park your car, grab a coffee (I'll get to the coffee thing in a bit) and then pop over to the news stand for some lunch break reading material before you head to the office. Brilliant! Plus, my husband really, really loves to read the Financial Times and you can't get it delivered here in Ozark, so let's make this one happen!




Next up...a health food store. Not a vitamin store or a place that only sells boxed foods, I am talking full blown produce department, health and beauty, frozen foods, bulk bins, vitamins and minerals, a huge salad bar and even some organic and eco friendly household items and gifts. I've even scouted the perfect building. Remember that giant building that used to be the museum? Bingo! It is plenty big enough to house a market and still have space for a community room to hold classes on cooking, essential oil use and other health topics. Bonus? The backyard that comes with the property would be perfect for a co-op garden. Yes, it is a perfect spot, isn't it? 




Now, this next one might seem a little radical to some of you, but I would love to see a vegetarian restaurant in Ozark and I think the square would be a great spot for it. I dream big, I know. I don't know what else to say about this one, except that I would eat there all the time (because they would have a huge menu) and I think the idea is fabulous. 




As you all know, I love my dog so very, very much and I would love a fancy little doggie boutique to buy her presents and high quality toys from. I know people around here are crazy about their dogs (as evidenced by the million grooming places in town) and I think a doggie boutique would be a fun and successful addition to the square.




How about a gift shop that isn't an antique/country-craft type store? I love those places as much as the next Ozarkian but I think something totally different would bring a much needed change. I'm thinking something with fair trade and global handcrafted items...like a 10,000 Villages. Right? Right.




Now, this one would be THE BEST. A yoga studio. One dripping in deity statues, flowy curtains, crystals, kirtan music jamming softly, spiritual symbols painted on the walls and incense burning. I want the full on experience and I think Ozark is ready for it too (also a completely knowledgeable and experienced teacher).  Ahh, this would be so rad. 




One thing I've noticed our downtown is seriously lacking is a good old fashioned used book store. Everyone loves browsing with nothing specific in mind, only to stumble upon something they've been wanting for years and delighting in the fact that it is only a couple bucks (and no irritating shipping costs or waiting on delivery). We need a used bookstore like yesterday.




What woman doesn't like to shop at vintage bohemian style clothing boutiques? Okay, maybe a few, but with all the shabby chic style things I see in all the crafty stores around here, I think a vintage clothing store would work well. And I really like that style, so I'm being selfish, but hey! This is my fantasy.




I can't leave Mark with no shirt on his back, can I? And besides, I've not noticed ANY offerings for men downtown. That just seems wrong. How about a nice men's fine clothing store? A place to grab smart tops and slacks for work, ties, a wide variety of shoes, trendy casual wear and even a small, yet totally stylin', selection of suits. I think this one is a no-brainer. Men like to buy clothes too. 




Well, I've covered the dog, myself and Mark but it wouldn't seem right to leave out a darling little place to buy unique clothes for the kiddos. It should smell like bubble gum inside and they should offer free cookies to kids who behave. 




While we are thinking of the children, why not throw a toy store in for good measure? One that has all the fancy safe-to-chew-on type stuff from Europe (yeah, even us childless people know about that teething giraffe), cool educational tools like "my first science lab", ant farms, and locally made wooden toys too. Let's face it -- you're never to old to have fun in a toy store.




We need a place to grab a pack of batteries, toothpaste, toilet paper, wrapping paper or any other number of practical items without having to go to the evil big chain store whose name I won't mention but it starts with a W and it really stinks store. Do we really need any other reason for a five and dime? I think not.




This last place is right up there with a yoga studio in terms of likelihood but a girl can dream. I would love to see a spa on the square. A fancy place to go for a massage, facial, mani pedi, to sit in the steam room or any other number of spa services. I think it would make for a great place to take your mom, sister or friend for an afternoon to be pampered. Or how about couples massage!? I would love to sip some exotic hot tea and flip through a magazine while someone rubs my feet. And if the spa was conveniently located downtown I might actually indulge. 




So those are the stores I would like to see downtown. If we had places like that to shop at, I would never need to go to Springfield unless I wanted to hit up Renaissance Books and Gifts. I would have added a coffee shop to the list but we already have one that is really adorable. I just wish they opened earlier (like 6:00am) and weren't closed on Sundays. Oh, and a bus. A bus in Ozark would be neat. Stars Hollow has one after all. 


So how do you like my fictional town? Did I miss anything we desperately need here in Oz? Maybe someday the square will look more how I dream it to be, but really, who can complain? Ozark is pretty amazing just as it is. 


~ Love & Light ~






















2 comments:

  1. Wow, I would totally make a regular trip down there for all of these wonderful stores!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, right? Ozark is great as is, but it also has so much potential. Thank you for reading my blog and taking the time to comment!

    ReplyDelete