Monday, September 21, 2015

It's Prep Time!




Moonbelly 31 Weeks


With only seven or eight weeks left of pregnancy, I have been spending some time preparing the room I plan to labor in. I'm going to use my yoga studio as the primary space, while also spending time on the deck overlooking the river. Here are the things I've been collecting for that fateful day.


Top athletes use coconut water for optimal performance.


Staying hydrated while you labor is super important and I've enlisted coconut water as my ally for that purpose. I'd also like to have some aged barley miso soup ready when the time comes.


The guest bed.


The former guest room is now the nursery, and instead of putting the bed in the basement, we moved it to the yoga studio so I can use it during labor. We ordered a waterproof bed pad to go on it in case my water breaks while I'm lying there. And yes...I was too lazy to make the bed for this photo.


The altar.


My altar is in the studio, and for the past year it has been holding items representing fertility, and birth. A nice focal point to have in the room that was specifically put together to welcome the soul who chose us as parents. When I first assembled it, it was with the intention of getting pregnant quickly and now it will be with me as my baby begins his journey earth side.


Art by Catie Atkinson 


Inspiring birth art by Catie Atkinson will be adorning the room. She is the talented woman who made my pregnancy journal. I love love love her style. Her works can be viewed and purchased at her ETSY store Spirit & Sol.


Yoga gear.


Yoga mats, cushions and blankets to assits in the many positions I'm sure I'll find myself in.


Exercise Ball.


An exercise ball to sit on and rock my hips. This is supposed to help gravity move the baby down. I actually really love this thing and know I will use it a lot even after the birth.


Lavender essential oil.


Organic lavender essential oil for diffusing. Veriditas Botanicals is my favorite essential oil company. The best.


Always need a book.


A book of yoga poses and guided meditations for early labor.


Corn bag.


My neighbor gave me one of those groovy cloth bags filled with hard corn kernels. It can be heated or put in the freezer and used cold. Very helpful little tool.


I also put a fan in the room and will probably have some New Age music streaming off Pandora. Maybe a candle or two. Or, maybe I won't care about any of these things? You can't predict the unknown, but you can plan for your vision. Do any of you have suggestions for things to make labor easier? What worked for or helped you? Ultimately I'll be having my boy at the hospital, but I plan to stay home with our doula as long as possible. I would love any ideas or inspiration you have to share. 


31 Weeks.


~ Love & Light ~














2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Leanne!

    Your home looks so comfy and inviting! And I love that you allow yourself to have a slower pace. Your bed looks gorgeous messy. :)

    The best way to ease a labor is getting support from your spouse. You two are building a lineage together. Amazing works are afoot, and the connection that he has during your labor process will build a stronger bond than is even imaginable.

    Open to receive and let go. Be in the flow fully. And then embrace it again. Giving birth is so amazing, albeit painful, really painful. The pain is ancient. You will hear the call to open in the wake of each contraction. It is the ultimate healer. Prepare your mind, body and spirit for an orgasm. This may sound bizarre, I know it did to me the first time I heard it. But it is possible, so is laughter, intense healing laughter. I'm so excited for your family, the angels around you all, and the miracles that you and your beloved are creating together!!!

    Blessings are abound!

    I love you,
    Faye

    ReplyDelete