Monday, November 10, 2014

A Mighty Wind







The wind today has been so powerful! It is the really noisy (thanks to all the dry leaves everywhere) strong winds that move patio furniture around. I have had the back door open all afternoon enjoying the whooshing sounds and the warm breeze. The bag boy at the market warned me that today might be our last warm one for a while, with chances of snow this weekend. Of course, when I got home I had to take a short video of the river with the wind merrily pushing it along. I realize that I am probably the only one who is quite so obsessed with the river's every change, but how can I hoard all of this beauty to myself?




Saturday I attended another class with my Springfield Area Herb Study Group. We enjoyed hearing from a new instructor named Katrina Bogdon, ND, FABNO. She is in the process of moving her practice from Tulsa to Springfield and we are very lucky to have her in the Missouri Ozarks. The course was a study in Western Herbalism and specifically the respiratory system. We split into groups and made three different cough syrups and then shared our creations (in small doses of course). 


The Springfield Area Herb Study Group


Below is the recipe that my group used to make our cough syrup.




Each of us brought home a bottle of the syrup we had made and then we picked one from another group to take home as well. The cough syrup that Cathe and I made is good for when you are feeling cold and need some heat and have mucous to clear up. The other syrup I chose is great for when you have a dry cough with heat, and want to cool down. They both taste delicious. 


Homemade herbal cough syrups.


The osha root tincture I am making is coming along nicely. It should be ready to strain and bottle on December 8th. You can see the nice color it is developing below.


Osha Root tincture with lapis lazuli.


In non-herbal news, the Christmas lights will be turned on at the Finley River Park this Saturday, and next weekend is the Christmas parade here in Ozark. The holidays are sneaking up on me quickly! 


I will leave you with a squishy picture of Penny. She is the sweetest hound ever! Have a great week!


Penny aka Sleeping Beauty



~ Love & Light ~


2 comments:

  1. In the Oosha root thing...why not use the Lapis it to crush the herbs and in the proccess infuse the element to the herb and not simply allow it to remain inert in the find?

    ReplyDelete
  2. JKT -- That is a great idea for herbs that need to be crushed or ground prior to using in a remedy, but this particular tincture did not require that. I do shake the jar every other day or so to help the osha in the maceration process and to allow the vibration or essence of the lapis to structure the tincture and fuse with the qualities of the plant medicine. Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment! :)

    ReplyDelete