Monday, October 26, 2015

The Birth Plan: Readers Questions Answered





Many of you have had questions about how I am planning my birth; and so in today's post I will answer a few of them. I guess the first thing I will say is that these are just my vision for my ideal labor and birth. I am keeping a very open mind, knowing that things often don't go according to plan, AND these are just my preferences. If you chose to or plan to birth differently, I am not passing judgement. We are all unique and so are our choices and experiences. Now to the questions.


1. By far the most frequent question I get is whether we are doing a hospital or home birth. We put a     lot of thought into this decision and even interviewed a midwife, but ultimately we chose a hospital birth. Our doctor was a major reason for that choice. She is the best! I know she will take great care of us and I'm happy with our decision. 


2. I think the next question I get is if I plan to do a natural birth. The answer is a big YES! Honestly, I am terrified of a c-section or epidural! I have never had a broken bone or a surgery so yeah, I'm a big baby when it comes to medical interventions. I'm also a realistic person, so if I feel like pain medication is necessary of course I will use it. I'm not trying to win any medals! I just want to have the best birth experience for me, and right now that means a natural non-medicated birth. 


3. Did we hire a doula? Yes! She is kind and down to earth and very supportive. Her name is Kirsten Sengupta and for anyone in the Springfield area who needs a doula, she comes highly recommended by me! You can contact her at Shanti Birth Services. For those of you who don't know, a doula is a birth assistant. Someone who has gone through formal training and is with you through the labor and birth process to offer support that ranges from massage and other natural methods of pain management, coaching you through breathing and visualizations, bringing you water, food or chap stick, help with breastfeeding etc. etc. etc. For us, one of the main reasons we hired Kirsten is for Mark. Now he has someone there to support him and give him breaks and help him to help me. Having a doula is definitely a luxury, but I like knowing we will have someone outside of the hospital staff with us who is well aware of our birth plan.


4. Will we do a water birth? I really wanted to have a birthing tub available, but our hospital doesn't allow them. We do plan to labor at home as long as possible and I will use my own bathtub. It's kind of a bummer but it wasn't a big enough issue to sway me from birthing at the hospital. 


5. Will I breastfeed? Yes. 


6. Will I keep the placenta? No. But we will do delayed cord clamping, skin to skin right after birth and no bathing, eye ointment etc. until baby has had his first feed, rooming in (that means no nursery in the hospital, the baby stays with us at all times) and we will go home as soon as we can! 

I think that about covers it. I am always happy to answer any questions you have. Have a great week and thanks for stopping by! 


~ Love & Light ~






No comments:

Post a Comment