Thursday, April 3, 2014

The Earthbreakers




I am currently reading a book called The Earthbreakers by Ernest Haycox. This book was part of my Grandma Jernigan's collection. It was published in 1952 and the jacket is missing from my copy so I went into it having no idea what to expect. I'm only a few chapters in so far and it turns out I'm reading a historical novel. This is really out of the box for me but I am enjoying it so far. Here is a review from Amazon by a person called Charles Wheeler...


"A great historical novel, not a Western. With this novel Ernest Haycox became a legend in the publishing business. That is not to say he was not already considered one of the best writers in the world. But here he puts together everything he had hoped to accomplish as a writer--in-depth characters, great accomplishments by these characters, conflict, co-operation, set amidst the back drop of a country wild and free. If the opening pages of this book don't grab hold of you and make you want to read the rest, then I don't know what would. Rice Burnett is one of the most complicated personages you will ever want to meet, and George Collingwood an apt counterpart. There are two women to add in the mix as well, Edna, and Katherine--which will Rice choose? This is a sprawling epic, some of which is predictable, and some not as Ernest Haycox has a way of putting ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances, and extricates them as only he can do. This is one book not to miss, if you love historical novels filled with lots of characters."





#Historical #Frontier life #Romance


~ Love & Light ~



 

No comments:

Post a Comment