Thursday, February 27, 2014

Mae West: More Than A Sex Goddess




Mae West 27 years old



Those of you who are familiar with Mae West probably think of her as an American actress and singer, and you would be right. But there was so much more to her than her charm and sass onscreen. (If you don't know who Mae West is, shame on you! Now go find her film, I'm No Angel and watch it.)  Mae was also a prolific writer. In the 1920's she wrote her first play called "Sex". Mae played the lead role. The play was very controversial and Mae was arrested and convicted on a morals charge! However, she was pleased with the publicity the arrest brought with it. Nothing could slow her success.


Throughout her long career Mae wore many hats...Vaudeville performer, playwright, Broadway sensation, movie star, author, Sex Goddess...she was an inspiration during her life and continues to be today. Mae might not have been conventionally beautiful but she was herself...and confidant! Her independence and sass was infectious!




I have a little Mae West statue that belonged to my Grandmother Jernigan. I keep it in my powder room. She has a pearl bracelet draped over her arm...it belonged to my grandma too. When I am in front of the mirror, getting ready for the day, Mae West is there to remind me to be myself, and make life fun! 


Vintage Mae West statue


When Mae was only fifteen she wrote a now famous poem called Cave Girl. I think it is a fabulous representation of who she was as a person.


CAVE GIRL
By Mae West


I got my smile from the sunshine.
I got my tears from the rain.
I learned to dance when I saw a tiger prance,
And a peacock taught me to be vain.
A little owl in a tree so high,
He taught me how to wink my eye.
I learned to bill and coo from a turtledove.
And a grizzly bear taught me how to hug.
But the guy who lived two caves from me,
He taught me how to love.


Mae West is so inspirational to women around the world. I hope she inspires you to flirt with life and claim your individuality and beauty. Watch some of her films if you've never seen any of them before. You might be surprised how relevant they still are. You might be surprised how different you feel after seeing her on the screen! 





You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. -Mae West


~ Love & Light ~





No comments:

Post a Comment