Monday, January 27, 2014

Inspiring Scents





"At no other time (than Autumn) does the earth let itself be inhaled in one smell, the ripe earth; in a smell that is in no way inferior to the smell of the sea, bitter where it borders on taste, and more honeysweet where you feel it touching the first sounds. Containing depth within itself, darkness, something of the grave almost." -Rainer Maria Rilke






I have the nose of a scent hound. This isn't always a good thing, mind you. I often am the only one picking up on a subtle yet terrible smell. On the other hand, because my sense of smell is so strong, I find comfort and inspiration in many scents that I have encountered in the course of my life. Today I want to share just a few of my favorites. 


Super Hit Incense


Many of you have heard of Nag Champa incense but did you know Satya also makes a delicious masala incense stick called Super Hit? It has been my favorite for many years. I love to burn one while meditating or doing yoga. Super Hit is super yummy. 


Scented Wax Burner


One of the gifts we received after getting married this summer is a wax burner from my mom. I really love this thing. It has a light bulb on the inside that heats and melts a scented wax cube that you place in the top (removable) tray. You can find the wax cubes at many stores, but my favorite scents can be found at Nature's Flame Candles. Not only are the scents magical but the melts themselves are beautiful. Skip the plain squares mass produced by large companies and treat yourself to these little works of art. 


Lemongrass and Sage melts by Nature's Flame Candles.


Fairy Blend melts by Nature's Flame Candles.


One of my absolute favorite scents is jasmine. I bought a jasmine plant a few years ago for this very reason. Every time she flowers it is a scent-sational event! 


Lone winter jasmine flower.


Scents hold memories, emotions and feelings about our lives. Women especially are attuned to the world of scent. What scents do you enjoy? The smell of bread baking in the oven? Fresh laundry? Puppy breath? How do you bring scent into your home? Candles? Flowers? What is your intention when you release a scent into the air? Relaxation, warmth, energy or a cooling effect? Experiment with scent and see how it can enhance your environment and bring instant peace to a space. 


"Odors have a power of persuasion stronger than that of words, appearances, emotions, or will. The persuasive power of an odor cannot be fended off, it enters into us like breath into our lungs, it fills us up, imbues us totally. There is no remedy for it." -Patrick Süskind, Perfume: The Story Of A Murderer


~ Love & Light ~












No comments:

Post a Comment