Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Iguana Roja Restaurante: Latin American Cuisine In Oz

Thursday nights are fast becoming our Iguana Roja night. As I've mentioned in a previous post, Mark and I have been enjoying the Ozark Downtown Farmers Market on Thursdays at the square. We like to browse around, listen to the live music, and look at all the yummy offerings at the vendors booths. Inevitably hunger sets in while looking at and smelling all of the delicious food. Now, of course, there are some fine food choices at the market but sometimes it's nice to duck out of the heat, have a seat, and let someone serve you. If you haven't been to downtown Oz lately I will tell you that restaurants are few and far between. But quality over quantity, right?

Directly across the street from the farmers market is Iguana Roja, peeking out from a corner spot. Hot and hungry, we decided to go for it. We expected the usual smothered-in-cheese midwest style Mexican fare typical of the region, and I'm cool with that. Growing up in Springfield I've come to love "Mexican" food from places like Mexican Villa. Still, I appreciate a more authentic Latin American dish now that I'm no longer twelve.

A comfy, eclectic interior.

After being greeted and then seated at a booth table our waitress brought out the complimentary chips and salsa. This was our first clue that Iguana Roja was going to be different from the rest. The salsa is really quite tasty but it was the freshly made chips generously sprinkled with a delicious spice mix that made us take note. 

The menu is full of classic dishes made with high quality ingredients. The chefs try to use local ingredients and because of this the menu changes from season to season depending on the availability of certain produce. We ordered fish, shrimp, chicken, and chorizo tacos (basically one of each meat), and a shrimp quesadilla. The quesadilla came with a bit of guacamole too. (I should mention that although we haven't done it yet, every table has order sheets on them so that you may choose the ingredients in your guacamole to your tastes). Everything was DELICIOUS! Seriously. An unexpected surprise. 


Spicy! 


After dinner we decided to look at the drink menu. We found that the drinks were as unique as the food dishes.

Unique Spirits

After much debate, Mark decided on the What the Colada and I went with the Peach Shandy. Although I am usually the "food picker" between the two of us, it was clear that What the Colada (it has pureed avocado in it!)  is THE drink to try at Iguana Roja. My shandy was delicious and refreshing but I was jealous of Mark's drink and decided I would get one on our next visit. 


What the Colada and Peach Shandy


My pictures are pretty lame, I know, but we were having such a good time that I lost sight of documenting the experience. Be Here Now, ya know? Anyway, you'll be going soon, I'm sure.

Iguana Roja Restaurante
107 West Church St.
Ozark, Missouri 65721
(Located on square)

Hours:
Tue - Th: 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Fri - Sat: 11 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Sunday: 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Phone# 417-485-8585


~ Love & Light ~



No comments:

Post a Comment