Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Christmas Top 10

Here it goes...in anticipation of the upcoming holiday and celebration of the season, I give you my Christmas top 10 list!


10. Christmas cards. Sitting down to write out cards to family and friends is a ritual I look forward to every year and what is even better is the warm feeling you get when you receive a card in your own mailbox.



9. Christmas lights. I think of hanging lights as a manly task and have never actually hung any outdoor lights myself but I love the festive feeling it drums up to drive through town and see giant snowflakes decorating street posts, and twinkling lights adorning businesses and homes.



8. Santa Claus. In the mall, in a parade, in holiday movies, at the pet store posing with Fido for a snapshot. Santa is certainly the American Christmas mascot. And who doesn't remember being a child and counting down the days until his visit.



7. Christmas music. I know, I know, for a lot of people this one is more of an annoyance than a treat but I can't help it. I like listening to holiday tunes on my way to yoga class or the grocery store and I even like to play it in my home when guests are over between Thanksgiving and Dec. 25th. (consider that a fair warning, friends). ;)



6. Christmas movies. From classics to cheesy new Family Channel flicks, I LOVE Christmas movies. As a matter of fact my all time favorite movie is White Christmas with Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye. I love turning on the TV during the holidays and being surprised with a claymation classic like Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer or National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.



5. Christmas food! Candy canes, holiday cakes and cookies, homemade fudge, multi-flavored popcorn tins, cheese balls with fancy crackers, fruit cake, clementines, ham, sweet yams and all of the other decadent foods served at Christmas dinner.



4. Holiday parties. Let's face it. The holiday season is stressful for most people and what better way to take a load off than gathering with friends and family to enjoy good food, drink and company!



3. The tree. Trimming the tree is one of my most loved holiday traditions. From skirt to topper I enjoy placing each and every ornament in its place. I loved dressing the tree with my sister and parents as a kid and now I enjoy sharing the experience with Mark.



2. Giving. As the years turn one faster than the next we can sometimes forget the joy of giving in keeping up with our daily lives. The holiday season is an opportunity for us to give to the ones we love as well as do something nice for people we don't know. Beside the gifts we place under the tree we can also give the gift of our time and service. Soup kitchens, volunteering at shelters, hospice or the Salvation Army, donating to food harvests, giving food to the local animal shelter, helping a neighbor or mailing a card to a wounded soldier. The act of giving lifts the spirits and spreads cheer.



1. Jesus. I mean it is his birthday after all. We set up a nativity set this year as a reminder of what the season really is all about. Christ consciousness is something we should all strive for (Christian or not) and in the grand tradition of messiahs, Jesus also preached LOVE. Love your fellow brothers and sisters and have yourself a Merry Christmas!


~Love & Light~

To view our Christmas 2012 album visit our facebook page.

2 comments:

  1. I admit to a weakness for Christmas movies. I really like Smokey Mountain Christmas, in fact I kind of have a small obsession with that movie, and look forward to it airing every year. I really, really hate A Christmas Story, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I have ever seen Smokey Mountain Christmas. (is this possible?) I'm on it!

    ReplyDelete