Thursday, March 14, 2013

A Renaissance In Springfield




Growing up in Springfield, MO. was really magical for me. I spent my time playing in the field behind my sub-division, laying on the back porch at night marveling over the starry sky and imagining alien life, walking the old train tracks behind the Scenic Heights neighborhood until I reached the bridge near Nathanael Greene Park, and many other childhood adventures. Imagination played a huge part in that childhood life. We rode unicorns and Harley Davidsons, hung out with Bart Simpson and "The Corey's", hosted an Australian radio station, ruled the town from our tree house fort, and had dangerously fierce games of "Army". It was the wild west on Primrose Lane!

By the time I reached my early teens I had become hungry for more. I had speculated about my ancestors, life on other planets, and GOD. I was looking for answers...or at least some other people's theories.

I grew up in a Southern Baptist Christian church. I think it is fair to say that the majority of folks here in the Ozarks are some type of Christian. I enjoyed singing at church but by the age of thirteen I was already having issues with a lot of what we were being taught. I felt something was missing. I wasn't comfortable with many of the "rules" the church imposed...no pants for women, dancing is a sin? Pfttt...

So I became attracted to everything "different" around me. In High School this meant hanging out with the foreign exchange students, playing on the chess team, taking Karate classes, and absorbing everything Dr. Wood taught us in Philosophy class. Lucky for me, during my freshman year, I became friends with someone who had a Japanese grandmother. I saw her meditating and was fascinated. What was she gaining by just sitting there? Once she had finished (several hours later) I expressed my curiosity to her. In her broken English she suggested that I start by reading Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind. I burnt the title of the book into my memory. Now, where to find it?

The Universe was guiding me and within weeks I discovered a bookstore near my house called Renaissance Books and Gifts. Not only did this book store have the title I was looking for but many other books on Eastern Religion and Philosophy. As I browsed the shelves I saw books about Buddhism, Hinduism, Wiccan and Pagan books, books on herbal remedies and Holistic modalities, Gay and Lesbian subjects, mythology, UFO's, local history and lore and so much more. On top of all of the fabulous books the store also sold candles, incense, some unique clothing, crystals, deities, jewelry,  gemstones, cd's, oils, and more! I ended up spending A LOT of time during my teen years at Renaissance Book store. I had found an oasis and a friendly staff that encouraged my curiosity and let me loiter for hours on end! I am happy to report that after all of these years they are still there at 1337 E. Montclair St. in Springfield.

My views on religion and spirituality have morphed and changed over the years and I continue to buy literature from Renaissance. Having lived in and visited many big cities I can say with confidence that Renaissance carries the BEST selection of books on New Age and Spiritual topics! (not to mention unique and special gifts). I highly recommend you swing by and browse the magic! You will most certainly be made to feel welcome by Elaine, Holly, Sandy, and Crystal. Don't forget to tell them Leanne sent you!



~Love & Light~

Store Hours and Phone #

2 comments:

  1. Wow your upbringing is very similar to mine. My Grandma was a Minister of the Lutheran church and still is to this day. My parents never went to church though they taught me to follow my own path, between my dad's Zen methods and my mom's attraction to nature I was very peaceful. I am now probably the most spiritual out of my entire family. It is instilled into my everyday. I am a spiritual person on my own unique path. Its sounds like your curiosity led you to yours. We are blessed to have the great people like you and Mark to make our everyday easier and worth the time we put in. Thanks again. here's to our never ending curiosity and spirit!

    ReplyDelete